Cosmetic Dentistry in Glenmont, NY
Cosmetic Dentistry comes in various types of procedures and often times it requires a combination of them to achieve the best results. The various types of procedures include, but not limited to, composite fillings, porcelain crowns, porcelain or composite veneers, whitening, orthodontic treatment and stain removal. For composite fillings and porcelain crowns, please click on "Tooth-Colored Fillings"and "Crowns & Bridges" tabs on the right-hand side under "List of All Services" to read more about these procedures. We will explain the rest of the cosmetic procedures here below.
Teeth whitening is probably the most common form of cosmetic procedure. There are a lot of different whitening products on the market and it's important to understand the difference and have the correct expectations. Our advice for teeth whitening is to get a consultation from a dentist before whitening your teeth. We understand this sounds very biased because we offer teeth whitening procedures. We will provide a few examples of why a trip to our office could save you some time and money:
- Patients with sensitive teeth could feel stronger sensitivity with whitening toothpaste.
- Patients with existing cavities should not receive any type of teeth whitening until the cavities are treated.
- Over-the-Counter whitening products does not have enough strength to provide a drastic change.
- Patients often want the Hollywood white smile but don't realize it takes repeated whitening procedures to achieve it.
- Sometimes patients may not realize their teeth are already white enough and teeth whitening may not get them much whiter.
- Fillings, veneers, crowns, and denture teeth, will not be affected by any whitening products.
Having the Hollywood white smile isn't always the best goal because teeth that are unnaturally white often look very fake. At Bethlehem Town Family Dental, we will thoroughly examine your situation for whitening and offer the best treatment. We offer 3 different types of teeth whitenings options:
- In-Office Whitening. This is the fastest whitening option and is ideal for patients that have an upcoming event such as weddings or interviews. While this treatment will not achieve the Hollywood white, it will create an obvious change for the "before and after" picture. It's also hassle-free for the patient because the majority of the procedure is done in the office. It takes about 1 hour in the dental chair, we will isolate the teeth and apply whitening gel on them while you sit back and watch TV on the ceiling.
- Take Home Whitening with Customized Tray. This is the most effective whitening option because you can apply the gel at home repeatedly until you achieve your perfect smile. On your initial visit, we will take impressions, make models, and fabricate a customized tray specifically designed for you to apply the whitening gels in the tray and wear it for a certain amount of time at home. We will provide you with enough gels to whiten repeatedly at home and if you ever need more in the future you can just buy the gels again and repeat the process without having to make the trays again. While it's possible to achieve the Hollywood white with this option, please consult with us if this is your whitening goal.
- Take Home Whitening with Easy Fit Tray. This is the least expensive option and will be the most common choice for patients that are not in a hurry and not looking for a Hollywood white smile. We will provide you with multiple sets of pre-made trays that fit snugly onto most patients. These trays already have the whitening gels on them so it's as hassle-free as it gets for take-home whitening. For patients who are undecided on whitening options, this is a great first step and see if it meets your whitening expectation. If it does, then you do not need to invest further into teeth whitening procedures.
The most important lesson to learn about porcelain veneers is... It's not for everyone! As we understand more about veneers and other types of cosmetic procedures advances, there are now many other options besides veneers. The veneer procedure involves the dentist removing a thin layer of enamel on the front teeth, fabricate thin porcelain "laminates", and cement them onto the front teeth. Veneers can often mask internally stained teeth, adjust teeth in minor undesirable positions, and create a great smile. However, there are many contraindications of veneers that need to be screened during treatment planning. For example, if you had multiple fillings, or existing cavities, in the front teeth, veneers may not be the best option for you. Another alternative to porcelain veneers are composite veneers. Composite veneers are basically done chairside like a filling without the use of a dental lab. Instead of using a thin porcelain laminate, we would apply a thin layer of composite material. While composite veneers may not last as long, they are a lot more affordable than porcelain veneers.
Please Call to Schedule an Appointment
We welcome you to set up a consultation appointment so we can thoroughly make a treatment plan and create a great smile for you. Please call our Glenmont dental office and set up an appointment. We offer convenient morning and evening hours so you don’t have to arrange your work schedule around your dental appointments. We’re pleased to work with most major insurances and will work with you to make sure you always receive the maximum benefit you’re entitled to.