Many folks avoid going to their bi-annual teeth cleanings and checkups. This is a huge mistake since these appointments are straightforward and help you avoid dealing with more significant and invasive problems.
When you know what to expect at your dental teeth cleaning in Glenmont, NY, you won't have to avoid the appointment. Here's what you should know.
Professional Teeth Cleanings: What to Expect
During your professional teeth cleaning, your hygienist's objective is to remove any plaque and tartar buildup you might've missed at home. Here's a step-by-step guide as to what will happen during your preventive care appointment:
- A thorough examination: This may happen before or after your teeth cleaning, depending on your needs. Your dentist will screen you for problems like oral cancer, tooth decay, and gum disease while also ensuring that your current restorations are healthy and functioning correctly.
- Plaque removal: Your hygienist will remove excess plaque or tartar from your teeth with various tools. Plaque that doesn't get removed promptly hardens into tartar. It takes professional hand tools to remove tartar from your teeth.
- Professional cleaning: This is when your hygienist uses gritty paste to polish your teeth. This process removes any remaining plaque or tartar, leaving your teeth bright and sparkling.
- Rinsing: You'll have the opportunity to rinse the teeth cleaning polish out of your mouth.
- Flossing: Your hygienist will floss between your teeth to eliminate any plaque or bacteria.
If you are prone to developing tooth decay and cavities, your dentist may recommend a fluoride treatment. Your dentist will also take x-rays of your teeth once per year to examine what's going on internally with your dental health.
Is It Time for Your Next Dental Checkup in Glenmont?
Contact your Bethlehem Town Family Dental team if it's time to schedule your next teeth cleaning and checkup.