June is Oral Health Month, and we’re inviting you to celebrate! Our oral health is of the utmost importance. Not only do our teeth and gums allow us to bite and chew food effectively, but the health of our mouths directly influences our whole-body wellness.
The mouth shows signs of tooth decay, gum disease, infection, and other oral health issues. It can also show signs of other illnesses, such as diabetes or Crohn’s Disease. The health of your mouth can also show if you’re missing certain nutrients from your diet or if you use tobacco or alcohol.
At Bethlehem Town Family Dental, we celebrate oral health every day! Our dental team is passionate about helping our patients lead healthier, happier lives with beautiful, problem-free smiles.
Why We Celebrate Oral Health Month
#1 Reminder to Protect Our Teeth and Gums
Oral Health Month reminds us of the ways we can protect our teeth. Strong, healthy teeth can last a lifetime and improve our overall health. Caring for our gums is also essential, preventing periodontal disease, tooth loss, and other oral health problems.
#2 Honor Those Who Came Before Us
Oral Health Month honors those in dentistry and the oral health care field. Countless people have made life-changing innovations in dentistry. We salute them and are determined to carry on their legacy and passion for improving oral health care.
#3 Pass on Good Oral Hygiene Habits
Good oral hygiene keeps your teeth and gums in excellent condition. The more we learn about healthy practices, the more pride we have in maintaining them. And ultimately, the more significant difference we can make in our loved ones’ lives!
How to Care for Your Smile’s Health
- Brush your teeth twice daily to remove plaque and bacteria and reduce the risk of decay and gum disease.
- Floss at least once daily to remove plaque between teeth and massage the gums. Flossing also helps reduce the risk of dental decay and gum disease.
- Rinse your mouth using antibacterial or anticavity mouthwash, as this flushes away food particles and bacteria.
- Eat a nutritious diet and avoid foods and beverages high in sugar.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, wash away oral bacteria, and moisturize the mouth.
- Reduce your risk for oral cancers and diseases, such as stopping smoking or using tobacco products.
- Visit your dentist for routine dental exams and professional teeth cleanings. Exams allow your dentist to check your mouth for signs of decay, disease, oral cancers, and more. If you see your dentist regularly, your general dentist can stop these issues in the earliest stages. Professional teeth cleanings are the only way to thoroughly remove plaque and tartar buildup that people miss with at-home brushing and flossing.
Schedule Your Dental Exam in Glenmont, NY
Our dental team values your smile’s health and your overall wellness. Our general dentistry practice offers various services to improve your oral health and give you the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve.
Contact us today to schedule your dental appointment with Dr. Henry Huang at Bethlehem Town Family Dental.